Sunday, August 26, 2012

Exciting Things

So some exciting things happened this week, and I decided they would make for a pretty good first blog post.

First things first:

One of my poems is going to get published! I suppose I should say another one of my poems is being published, as I was published once before in a little chapbook. ANYWAY, I'm really excited, because it's an online magazine that has very high standards, and I made it! It (the magazine) is called Alliterati, and I'll link to the page it (my poem) is published on after they publish it. Here's the poem that's getting published:

To Us- Synesthesia

i.

every sound
excites a burst
of color; an
exploding
firework,
dancing and
twirling.


ii.

your voice
tastes of mangoes;
sticky
and sweet,
caressing my senses.
your flavor is
personal.


iii.

the letters
all become a
different personality.
"T" is crabby
and "I" worries.
"J" is strong
and mighty.


iv.

closer and
farther away;
each number becomes
its own plane
and point
in space;
perfect details.


v.

all the numbers
form lines
becoming an army
of curvy rows,
swirling round
and round.
a perfect pattern.


vi.

letters take
on colors,
each and every one
a different hue,
a different shade,
forming rainbows
of words.



Some background knowledge about the poem:

For iii, the Personification section, I took actual quotes from people who had that type of Synesthesia.

I used the six known types of Synesthesia:

i. Sound → color Synesthesia
ii. Lexical → gustatory Synesthesia
iii. Personification
iv. Spatial Sequence Synesthesia
v. Number form Synesthesia
vi. Grapheme → color Synesthesia


Here's a link to an amazing picture that also portrays synesthesia: http://silentreaper.deviantart.com/art/Synesthesia-273485854

Other exciting things: I got my first postcard in the mail from Postcrossing this week! It was from a sweet girl in Hong Kong, who's name was also Cat (I spell mine like K-A-T) and she sent a Happy Birthday postcard because my birthday happened a few weeks ago (I'm 18.....weird). I'll be sending off all of MY postcards that I have to send as soon as I go buy stamps. Yeah.

I think that's about it--oh! I'm going on a trip up to Rexburg, Idaho, to check out some apartments for college. Wish me luck!

~Caitlan Zufelt

2 comments:

  1. Congrats :) And yay for postcards :D I bought a box for all mine not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete